- A spree of end of season boat-buying has taken the fleet numbers from 3 at the end of 2016 to 13 at the end of 2017. And more interest is being expressed by other so we are hoping for further fleet growth during 2018
- The majority of boats being bought are early gold fleet boats – with sail numbers between 3400 – 3700: built by Ovington, Coryn or Dingwall, relatively cheap but with solid hulls and decks and plenty of life left in them
- We also lost a boat – sunk and written off – number 2552 Ffaux Pas. A 30 year old buoyancy bag burst following a major broach and swamping. No one was hurt but a salutary lesson for all.
- During the season we have been joined by a number of visitors – ex Aldeburgh classic 202 Silver Fox down from Scotland and boats 3181 and 1543 whose helms sail on the River Deben – the next river down the coast in Suffolk, where facilities don’t really work for dry sailing fifteens. We are hoping to coax these two boats into our fleet on a more permanent basis
- We had 8 fifteens compete at the Aldeburgh Classic regatta and the same number (but not all the same boats) at Aldeburgh Regatta week. The 15s had their own class start for the first time in many years at regatta week.
- The 15s have also become the mainstay of the fast handicap fleet at Aldeburgh for weekend racing
- The Aldeburgh Yacht Club has agreed to invest c£8,000 in a new winch to aid dry sailing of the 15s and other fleets, and also implement a potential solution to fix the dropoff at the bottom end of the slipway which makes fifteen recovery at low tide a real pain
- In 2018 we are not intending to host an open meeting but visitors are very welcome to attend the Aldeburgh Classic regatta (June 16-17) and Aldeburgh regatta week (19-25th August). We plan to hold our first open meeting at the earliest in 2019.
- I doubt many Aldeburgh boats will be tempted to travel much elsewhere in the near term, but over time a few may be seen on the circuit.
It’s official, the Burnham fleet is now growing, having taken some one out for a sail late last summer, that person was so struck by the beauty, speed and elegance of the ff that he has now just bought one.
And is now looking forward to the new date of the Burnham Open Meeting of April 13th/14th 2013